Tuesday, October 28, 2008

healthcare (stage5)

When I was watching the third presidential debate I paid close attention to the discussion of issues. One issue that sparked my interest in particular was healthcare. Obama’s plan is to have people keep their employer’s healthcare and for those who don’t have healthcare, have them be able to have the same federal healthcare that government employees have. On the other hand McCain’s plan is to give everyone a 5,000 dollar tax credit for people to put towards the healthcare plan of their choice. At first both sounded decent to me until I really thought about Obama’s healthcare plan. Parts I agree with and others I don’t.
I agree that it is a good idea to get healthcare to those who don’t have it. My main problem is that his plan gives way too much control over healthcare to the government. The candidates both are trying to cut spending. If Obama is elected and his healthcare plan goes into effect, problems could come very quickly and strike the ability for federal healthcare to provide necessary and adequate services because of spending cuts. In theory his plan would allow the government to say what prescription medications you can take and what ones you can’t, which is a major problem for those who have regular prescriptions and take daily medications. Limiting the choice in certain types of medications like psychiatric, diabetic, and medications for other chronic illnesses is devastating to the people who use them because not all medications work the same way for everyone.
McCain’s plan would still allow people to get healthcare, but he still will give people the choice of what healthcare they want. With the 5,000 dollar tax credits that everyone will receive, people can apply the credits to whatever plan they see fit. There is not one healthcare provider that can suit the needs of every American, and if there was there would be no competition among providers which allows variety in coverage and price. McCain’s plan makes a lot more sense to me and I think for the present and future would prove to be effective and efficient.

No comments: